For me it was more like a sad case of do what you can to survive.... My sucky-ness at swimming REALLY came thru yesterday and slapped me in the face.... I only signed up for the 500 yard swim, THANK GOD!
First mistake was not wearing the wet suit. The water was warm and I opt'd not to wear it but 1/2 way to the turn around I wish I had. This was my first indication of just how much that damn thing does help you stay afloat. I guess too I was freaked about the nasty water in putting my face in it, adrenaline was pumping and I couldn't get any sort of rhythm going with my breathing my swimming, nothing. Couple times I flipped over and back stroked I got water in my face and got freaked again... I was DEAD FUCKING LAST but not a lot of folks in the 500 yard swim anyhow. I'm ok with the being last part, really am, I just would have liked the swim to go better, even if I had taken longer than I did.
All taken in stride, this is all new to me and I'm learning my limits and what I need to work on.
So today Kevin and I went to Ohio St beach again... Water was MUCH warmer than 2 weeks or so ago, still cold but better than last time, it didn't take my breath away. Saw the same two ladies finishing their swim... Next time I WILL introduce myself... I did ask if they were doing danskin this year as one was wearing the shirt and she said yes.... so I will make a point to introduce myself next time we see them.
Anyhow I swam so much better today, still not GREAT, but even better than yesterday. Of course I had the wetsuit on. Kevin said we had to go to the 4th ladder out, then he changed it up on me and made me go to the 5th ladder out. He estimates we swam probably 1000 yards. Then on the swim back he played triathlon with me.... :o) he purposely swam by me, over me, kicked me, touched me, bumped me - so I could get some idea what to expect and learn how to just pick my head up, get my bearings, then get my rhythm back - it took a few times but I started to catch on and started to learn to just breast stroke a few stokes, then put my head back in the water and move on - and I did feel like I was moving faster, and I'm sure the wetsuit helped - hell you don't EVEN have to kick at all with that thing on, so at least I know that, can use that to my advantage - don't use the legs in the swim, save them for the bike and the run!
All in all not too awful bad for a gal that this past October could not make one length of the pool, 25 yard pool at that, I really did not know how to swim at all, could save my ass if I feel off the boat but no idea how to swim

No comments:
Post a Comment