This was my first cruise experience but by no means will it be my last! What a FAB vacation. Left COLD and SNOWY Chicago on Sat 2/2 bound for Miami was a tad concerned because it started snowing here on Thursday, snowed all day, not stopping until sometime Friday, we got around 8 to 10", but thankfully what ever mess happened with cancelled flights on Friday was pretty much cleared up by Saturday - our flight was about 20 minutes late, no big deal. Oh boy Miami was so nice and warm! Stayed overnight as our cruise didn't leave until Sunday...
Got up Sunday took a run toward the Port of Miami but couldn't get to the ship... we got shooed away by security, but from where we were we could see our ship, Freedom of the Seas, and boy was she H U G E! Got back to the hotel, showered, ate breakfast and then figured might as well head to the port of Miami. We were on the Royal Carribean line and I was told its the best line and I have to say I'd agree. From the moment we got there, from checking in, till the time we left, the staff was wonderful. We actually got to board much sooner than we thought, but could not go to out staterooms until 2pm - the ship had just docked in Miami with another 4000+ passengers and they have to turn that ship around for the next group - was ok with me plenty to explore.
I was in awe from the moment I stepped on board. Not only a huge ship but beautiful inside, just beautiful, the manner in which this place was decked out rivals any top of the line hotel. 14 decks to explore. There were even parts of the ship we never saw. Our stateroom was on deck 2, it was small but why pay for a huge room when the reality is you don't or at least we didn't spend a lot of time there.
We left the dock Sunday around 5:30pm. Monday was an entire day at sea. After leaving cold and snowy Chicago, it was nice to bask in the warmth of the sun... of course I could have done without the bit of red I got :o) - the joy of being a redhead, who wasn't smart enough to put sunscreen on earlier.
Tuesday was our stop in Labadee Haiti where we did a kayaking excursion... UM never kayaked before but I think once I got the hang of it we were ok.. of course I feel on my ass just trying to get in the thing - tis ok plenty of cushion back there.
Wednesday found us in Ocho Rios Jamacia - there about 12 or so from our group had a private catamaran excursion - what a BLAST! We were taken to a snorkeling spot where our guide dove down and brought up a sea urchin, we all got to hold it and then he asked if we'd like to feed the fish... so he chipped away at this sea urchin, creating a hole in the side and the fish came from everywhere to feed on it, it was so cool, it was like they were literally eating out of your hand and well... they were.. Then he went down again and this time brought up a black spiny star fish. After snorkeling we head over to Dunn River Falls where we got to climb the actual water fall - 900 feet up - it was so much work and so much fun- then it was back on the catamaran to head back to the dock - the rum punch was flowing on the way back - the crew was a blast. Once back we headed to Margaritaville for some lunch and of course a Margarita!
Thursday had us in Grand Cayman - one of my favorite spots but I prefer the East end of the island to the touristy 7 mile beach area - but Kevin and I did a snorkeling adventure - the boat crew and other passengers weren't as cool as our Jamacia adventure, but the fish were certainly more plentifiul. We snorkeled in two spots, a shipwreck area, hell even without the fish just checking out this sunken ship was neat, then 2nd stop was a reef area.
Friday found us in Cozumel - this day we decided to shop and pick up souveniers. We found this interesting little bar where we had a huge frozen Margarita - brain freeze in a pretty glass - come to find out the owners were from Virginia and Hungary, they met on a cruise ship where they worked, fell in love and once the contracts were up, jumped ship for Cozumel and opened a bar.
Saturday was another day at Sea and then back in port on Sunday. The food onboard the ship was great, no matter if you ate in the dining room or in one of the cafe's, everything was good. Our head waiter in the dining room was wonderful, always making suggestions for the menu and/or wine, got us whatever we wanted and on lobster night, even put extra lobsters in the center of the table for all to enjoy, he did the same thing on surf and turf night - there is definately an advantage to the later dinner seating if you ask me - extra's if you want and no rush to get dressed for dinner when coming back from excursions - after dinner he'd always explain our next port of call and cool things to do, plus what was on tap for the next nights dinner.
Each morning our bed was made and room cleaned and each night our bed was turned down and a cool animal made from towels on our bed, with some mints. The entertainment on board ran from a super bowl party to a Motown Review, to an iceskating show, to a magic act, to comedy and others we didn't even see - there truly is something for everyone on board, even two night clubs that you had to be 17 or under to get into. TOP Notch service everywhere!
My only regret is I got sick the last couple of days. I felt a sore throat coming on Tuesday-ish, even started to lose my voice, but then felt fine... but by Friday night it was like someone hit me in the head - my head was pounding, my sinuses completely blocked, ears plugged and didn't know it at the time but I was running a fever - I wanted so badly to stay up and party that last night with Debbie, as it was 80's night on Friday, but I was miserable, my face was even all puffy, I ate dinner and was back in bed soon after. With Sat being another day at sea, I just layed up on the deck most of the day, might as well stay warm in the sun. Sunday and the plane ride home proved to be more than I could deal with. I felt so bad and I was a total bitch, even snapped at some lady in the airport - found myself in tears a couple of times on the plane when my ears could not pop and then all the sudden they did, it was like a knife going thru my head... But the worst was leaving 80+ degrees and coming home to a temp of 0, 40mph winds and a windchill of below zero - TAKE ME BACK PLEASE!

No comments:
Post a Comment