Sunday, January 13, 2008

Changing jobs.... AGAIN :o)

Hey we just don't live in the work for the same employer for the rest of your life era anymore, now do we....

I started at the Catholic Press Association on 10/12, spent my first two weeks in New York. One week of training, the second week was packing, closing and moving the office from NY to IL.

First lets back up to say I was very sad to see my previous boss, Pat, leave Addison D4 and move to Elmhurst 205, but much like the rest of the world, Pat had to do the best thing for herself career wise. She is a great boss, has her moments but hell we all do now don't we, but 99% of the time, she is a great boss. She will jump in and roll up her sleeves to help her staff, if her staff is willing and able to take on additional tasks she shows them and gives them the responsibility, she is willing to groom you to become more, if that is what you want. So June 30th she moved on.

I began searching for a better position for myself. I felt I was worth more then the crappy raise the board of education decided the district staff was worth - you know it really sucks when you bust ass and get the same % raise as some slacker that calls in sick every Monday/Friday - but anyhow....

So I began my search, went on interviews and started to become discouraged, but then things finally started to happen. Long and short, I got an offer and took it. However during the process of them calling for my references, I got a call from Pat who said to me "does this mean if something comes open in Elmhurst you won't consider coming back and working with me again?" UH no doesn't mean that at all, simply means, make me a decent offer...

Well time goes by and long about November Pat does have a position come up. She had a payroll person who had been working odd hours when Pat came on board on July 1, this person had been taking care of a sick husband. Then this lady became ill herself, whe was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I am guessing the prognosis wasn't really good, I think it might be pretty advanced stages, and the woman is in her 60s the district worked w/o this payroll person for a while, each employee taking on parts of the job, but the district soon realized that couldn't go on forever. So the position was posted, I applied, I interviewed twice, and was sort of offered the job about 4 wks ago...

I say sort of because the district had to make sure they had all their I's dotted and T's crossed regarding the family medical leave act. So Pat asked me to hang in there, the position was mine, it was just a matter of when I could formally be given a starting salary and date... well I'm THRILLED to say that came Monday night. Pat was like you can call me back and let me know... I said ok, but knew I was taking the job.. I mean hello, no brainer... more money, more vacation, better insurance, 3 miles from home, no commute to downtown and no out of pocket for a monthly train pass, and working for a boss I admire and enjoy working for.... UH NO Sorry don't want the job.. NOT!

So I begin my time at Elmhurst 205 on January 23rd and I will be thrown immediately into learning two types of software - the district is going through a conversion that is starting the wk of the 22nd... so I will have to be trained on both the old system and the new as I am sure they will have to run them side by side for a bit - it will be hectic for a tad, but I just need to remember to breath and remind myself anything new takes time to learn and 2 months from now you will wonder why you ever worried about any of it...

No comments: