Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Colin and Learning Center update

Well last week was Colin's last at the Lindamood-Bell Learning Center. Thursday was his last official day and Friday was the re-test. Its been wierd this week not having to make those trips to Deerfield.

I was in tears on Friday when I dropped him off. I had to hurry and give him a smooch, wish him luck and get outta there before he saw me crying. I went around the corner, sat in my car and bawled like a baby. I wasn't quite sure what I was crying about to be honest..

Was it fear like a momma bird has when she pushes her baby out of the nest to fly for the first time, knowing he would now be on his own with the skills they have taught him?
Was it not having this time together, even though there were times we just listened to tunes and didn't really carry on a conversation?
Was it regret of not having these 4 hours a day to myself to workout or hit borders to surf the net?
Was it fear of not feeling NEEDED anymore by George and/or Colin?

I just don't know and still can't really say, maybe it was a combination of all of those things in some fashion.

I think he was a bit remorseful too.. He said as much on our way up on Friday, that he had mixed emotions. I told him that was perfectly normal. He had spent almost every single Mon - Friday afternoon from 1-5pm with these people since early November. They had become a very important part of his life and it was very understandable why he'd miss them. He would no longer have that one on one attention with his learning. He would no longer have that constant praise as that is part of their methodology, even when a child does get the answer incorrect, they don't say NO THATS NOT CORRECT, rather they say Well I understand how you could see it like that or how you could get that answer but what if you looked at it like this or how about if we attacked it like that.. its a very nuturing environment, one Colin knows he will not get going back to the public school system full time. But I think he is ready to have his 'school day' end at 3pm. At least now he can get home at 3:15 and get started on homework, rather than not getting home till after 6pm, sometimes 7, eating and then still having school work to do..

So again I told him his feelings were very normal and that he could stay in contact with them and if he wanted to, when he had holidays from school and they were open, we could go up there for a visit and stop and have some lunch too. I think he liked that idea.

However mother nature decided we needed a rough ride going home Friday night. I had already planned for Colin and I to stop for dinner. He opted for Subway at the Oasis as he thinks its cool to sit at the window seats and see all the traffic moving below you. Well it started to snow about 3pm and I was getting dejavu from the time it snowed on that thursday night and it took us 3+ hrs to get home. But this time it was a Friday and neither Colin or I had anywhere to be the next morning so if it took 10 hrs to get home it wasn't as bad as before. well once again the snow caused traffic HELL.. We got to our turnoff to get on 294 and traffic was backed up as far as the eye could see. We looked at each other and said BAIL... plan B!

We headed up lake/cook rd opting to hit 355 way home and I said know what there is an outback steak house up the way, are you up for some Outback.. so that is where we ended up having dinner. The Gods musta been looking out for me too knowing I'm doing this bootcamp. I figured I could get a decent steak but they had Mahi Mahi on the fish list that night and WOW I have not had a better piece of fish in a resturant in sometime. It was freaking awesome and cooked to perfection! sided by some crispy steamed snow peas! it was a perfect meal. colin had the pork chops w/mashed potatoes and was in heaven. I asked if he wanted dessert but nothing on dessert menu even appealed to him, so I didn't have to worry with that temptation..

The next day George took the kids and I to Dave and Busters in celebration. its a resturant with a huge game room on the back half. I mean HUGE! We thought it would be a good way for us all to celebrate together, not just Colin's finishing but to also thank Caitlin for stepping up to the plate and dealing with so much time on her own after school. We all had a great time.. well till we got home and the brownie baking thing happened or they wanted it to happen. I think we got that worked out for now...

1 comment:

kiles1670 said...

Sometimes it is overwelming to see your child move on from one thing to another, he will be so much better thanks to all you have done.
I hope they all appreciate what you have done
take care