Friday, January 06, 2006

OK so I'm NOT perfect

I mean that in a funny way actually! Thanks to those (lisa, amber, KT, Sarah) that have responded that they missed my posting.. Been dealing with some STUFF (Thanks KT) and coming to some realizations about some issues that have LONG effected me that I HAVE to come to terms with because I DESERVE it in my life!

So anyhow went to chiro yesterday to deal with this nagging (toothache like) pain in my right hip and some issues in the right shoulder area (twd back) well talk about a very thorough DR.. I was there 2 hrs. Anyhow she is a runner and a trialthlete so that is WHY I chose her. I wanted a DR that walked the walk and not someone that was just going to say well stop running stop lifting weights UNLESS that is truly what I need to do to heal myself.

Well it turns out my right side is 1/2 inch shorter than my left. She had me standing there in bare feet looking at me at ground level from knees down. Then she found my hip sockets, then got out her tape measure to confirm what she thought. From my right hip to my ankle is 1/2 inch shorter than my left so its no wonder, she said, that I am experiencing this pain. I told her earlier this summer I had strained a piriformis muscle and had it worked on by a different chiro (not a sports person hence the change) and this new doc said this discrepancy in my length is quite possibly the reason I stained that muscle in the first place. She checked my flexibility and boy is the right SO much tighter than the left. Plus I am a tad flat footed, not terribly so but flat footed (that I pretty much knew) - so we did some deep massage of the area, after she applied some heat to loosen it up. This was not a AHHHH kinda massage, it was deep and a bit painful, then she put the electrody things on me, with an ice pack. Then she showed me some stretches to do for my right side specifically for now.

As far as the shoulder/neck area... I have something she called TOS (thoracic outlet syndrome) the nerves from the neck/shoulder that go into the right arm area are getting pinched off when my arm is in certain positions causing the numbness in my entire right arm down to my hand. Here's a definition from the internet **The simple definition of thoracic outlet syndrome is neurovascular symptoms in the upper extremities due to pressure on the nerves and vessels in the thoracic outlet area. The specific structures compressed are usually the nerves of the branchial plexus and occasionally the subclavian artery or subclavian vein.**

BUT in a nutshell she did not tell me I had to stop running or lifting weights.. She did suggest I don't do anything behind the head/neck with weights such as two handed dumbell tricep extensions, try to lay off shoulder presses or military press or at least lighten the load.. She put a small little lift in my right shoe and said give this a try and I have to see her again twice next week and then she said probably once the following week then we will evaluate from there.

A totally cool doc.. She actually gave a mini lecture at our 5K training class regarding shoes and such, so that is how I found out about her and knew she herself was an athlete. I find it funny though, I've seen two Chiro's in my life and they were both the tiniest things. I'm sure when she begins to adjust me next week I will feel like i"m falling off the table.

2 comments:

Turtle Guy said...

I discovered a leg length discrepancy last year and learned something very interesting: don't trust that tape measure! Apparently, and this makes sense when you stop to think about it, as you hold the tape, measure, then check the other side, there can be as much as a 1/2" difference simply by way of human error. This was physically demonstrated to me by my podiatrist AND my new chiropractor. They each suggested x-rays from the hips down to determine any real differences. Sure enough, after a battery of x-rays, we discovered a 2.5cm leg length difference. In designing my new orthodics, they included a lift in the right side. When you do the math, it works out to 1/2 the ACTUAL discrepancy... can't remember WHY though... I'll have to check on that. So far, I'm experiencing much more comfort as I have an additional idiosyncrasy with respect to the arches in my feet. One arch is so high it's SHORTENED the length of my foot by TWO SIZES. Freaky, eh?

Sarah Elaine said...

I'm so glad you've found a health professional you connect with. It's hard to find pros (even medical ones!) you trust. Sounds like you've got somebody there you can work with... Kinda like my physio guy... A small, wiry, unassuming man, with an inner "warrior healer" that blows me away.

Those pros are worth their weight in gold!

And you're right... You're not perfect... None of us are -- or can be!