Maybe I'm being over sensitve but at the risk of it... In the quest to learn to take care of myself and stop controlling others, I have to learn to not let myself get stressed out about certain things.
Last night I told both the kids that dad had to leave the house at 6:30 am and I needed to be to work at 7:30 am to meet up with a client who was dropping off some papers so if they wanted me to take them to school WE HAD TO BE IN THE CAR AND PULLING OUT OF THE DRIVEWAY BY 7:20 AM. That leaves me enough time to get them to school and me to get back across town by 7:30 to meet the client. Well they weren't in the car till 7:25 which meant I was late getting to work (i open) which meant the client couldn't wait around, which meant I missed them, which now means I have to go in on Saturday to meet client and get paperwork and stay and get a years worth of stuff done, which had I gotten there on time I could have gotten the stuff done today before I had to leave.. Very small business and its basically easy input and reconcilliation but they are having an audit next week they need some stuff completed for.
First let me give you some background.. #1 we live a tad less than 2 miles from the school, 1.8 to be exact, #2 the kids are 14 and 12, #3 there is a bus that picks them up on the corner at 7:15 am. I'm sure most of us that lived that close to school had to walk, there was no bus but since a portion of the path is not sidewalked I guess the school district provides a bus.
So as it is EVERY SINGLE MORNING I start the process of knocking on their bedroom doors at 6:30ish am, telling them its time to get up and reminding them not to forget that we must be out of here in x minutes I have to get to work to meet a client. Well at their ages you'd assume they would be a bit more mature and not have to be woken up again at 6:50, then again at 7am.... I'm not kidding this is the routine every single day. Generally Colin is up but lays in that bed till the very last second when your screaming ITS TIME TO GO NOW. But Caitlin forget it, she is literally not even up and falls back asleep as soon as you start to go back about getting your own morning routine done, then of course as I did at that age and any other teenage girl she has to primp for school...
So sure enough I'm running around at 7:18 shutting the lights off and locking the house down.. Colin comes out of his room, as usual no shoes on and can't find them and says why is it so dark in here.. BECAUSE ITS 7:18 AND I TOLD YOU BOTH I HAD TO BE AT WORK ON TIME TODAY TO MEET A CLIENT... Well I just have to get my shoes on, well if you would have gotten your ass up one of the other 3 times I asked you to this morning.... So anyhow I went out to the car, its now 7:21 he stolls out, then 7:25 she stolls out and everyone is pissed at me! Well excuse the fuck out of me, not only did I tell you last night it was very important I get to work on time today, I reminded you of this a couple of times this morning..
I was always taught to be respectful of someone elses time and I guess I wouldn't be so pissed about this IF it didn't happen 99% of the time BUT IT DOES more often then it doesn't.
So I'm not sure what else to do.. I've tried to talk to George about this but he allows them to get away with this. How can you expect to learn to be on time in life when you are never taught the lessons of what happens when your not.. I honestly had half a mind to just fucking leave this morning and let their asses find a way to school, but I know the turmoil that would have caused between George and I. Because by this time they would have also missed the bus and had to walk to school.
So the only thing I can think to do now and for the future to avoid myself getting stressed about someone elses actions and lack of respect of my time, is tonight the four of us will have a discussion and I will just have to tell them since you guys can not seem to find it within yourselves to be respectful of my time and the priviledge of being taken to school when a bus IS available, then I have no choice, when your dad can not drive you to school because he has to leave the house early, then on those days you will HAVE to take the bus and if you miss it you will have to walk. Its not fair that I now have to go in on Saturday because you two made me miss a client who themselves had to get somewhere and could not wait on me.
I can't control what anyone else does but I can control how I handle it and from now on I will handle it differently. I will do what I need to do and get myself to work. 99% of the time it would not matter if I wasn't there at exactly 7:30 but today it was and 99% of the time I wouldn't care but today I did.
Just curious how would any of you handle the situation... HONESTLY!

6 comments:
First time visitor and I will be back.
I would have to ask what time they go to bed and if you enforce a bedtime. Early to bed, early to rise, etc etc etc.
I also wonder if everyone would benefit from getting things together and ready for the next morning before bedtime every night. You would be surprised how easy mornings can go when everything is laid out (clothes, shoes, bookbag, etc).
I have 3 girls ages 19 - 8 and a baby boy due any day now. I am a firm believer in tough love and teaching there is a consequence for every action. Good luck.
At those ages I would give them the option of sink, or swim. I underdstand your dilemna though and I know it is not an easy thing to do. My oldest is 8 and at times I have the same type of problem, but of course she is only 8 so it would be irresponsible for me to make her walk to school.
I completely agree that it's their responsibility, yet they have been trained them to get away with this sort of thing, etc. I have some of the same issues.
Since they aren't actually conscious yet, it's hard for them to remember they need to get up. I know I have an awful time waking up and processing info. Once I started going to bed early, I eventually woke up early on my own.
It sounds like an early bedtime is in order, and if they disobey, it should be punishable like other offenses: loss of priveleges. Figure out what time they need to go to bed to get 8 hours of sleep, add an hour, and that's bedtime until they learn to get up at the proper time.
Also, for a couple of weeks I would make sure I was ready early enough so I could devote a little extra time to helping them learn to wake up. Also, they probably need at least an hour to get ready properly, so try waking them up at 6:00 or 6:15. Put an alarm clock across the room so they have to get up to turn it off, turn on their lights, uncover them, etc. Don't let them "snooze" for 20 more minutes -- give them under 5 minutes, then keep at them until they are up.
Hopefully their bodies will start adjusting to the new way of doing things within a week or two and they will take care of it on their own. (Take note of how long it takes to get them adjusted so you do this again in the summer before school starts!)
I also agree with angie about the getting ready the night before -- that's always a huge help for me and my kids too, when we remember to do it.
Hope that helps!
Angie thanks for visiting. They are suppose to go to bed at 10pm. I agree with you 1000% they should get stuff ready nite B4 and I've stressed this many times to no avail. I don't mean to sound like I don't love the kids I do very much as if I had given birth to them, however that small factor (that I am not their birth mom) has me watching my P's and Q's - If I could only get George to support me on these things rather than say well you've pissed Kim off now so you will have to take the bus when I can't take you, as a kid I'm sure you know how that sounds to your ears. He should be just as firm with them but.. He has had custody of them since his divorce and he'd rather be a friend then the disciplinarian - at any rate I did speak with them last night and told them until you can learn to respect my time you will take the bus, if your father chooses to let you walk over him and disrespect his time that's his issue not mine I can't control that.
Rob I guess your right at 8 the story is different. I know my mom was a bitch and we never got along but I'd have never dreamed of doing something like this.. Hell as it was I had to get me and the brothers up and off to school starting at a very young age and heaven forbid we miss the bus.
MM thanks too for stopping by.. I guess a few times of having to be up earlier to take the bus and me not being the nice guy and coming to pick you up when you walk downtown w/friends cause "we're tired from walking around".. hopefully that will make them realize some sort of respect for others time. I doubt it but I can hope..
stick to your guns, kim. do you listen to dr. laura? she is a gggreat resource. if/when you start listening to her (or read: proper care and feeding of husbands!) you will wish you'd read/listened to her YEARS b4!
she has a new book out: "bad childhood, good life." it's sure to be a winner as all her's are!
seriously, if you listen to her for a day or less, you WILL HEAR someone who calls w/ your problems!
uncanny!
ps: i just finished posting.
love ya babe. i too believe in the alarm clock route. it is ludicrous that you even give them such a late time as 720! they need 2B ready at 7am! i know they'll complain..but if they want a ride...BE READY. their track record is such that you have no choice to either pull the plug or move the ETD (est. time of departure) back! them getting up early and being on time really will prepare them for the future.
i'm really sorry to break this to you, kim, and pls don't take offense...but when you signed up for step mom...you get some of this 'you're not my real mom' flak. and the fact that your man doesn't back you up...he wouldn't be doing that w/ the real mom either. it's a game to him, possibly. i don't say this to make you mad at him...but maybe you picked not the best choice. what do you think? are you guys married? i thought i'd gotten the impression not.
well, anyway, i hope you have a good Sunday, kimmie: are you headed to that dreaded place: CHURCH? i HOPE so, and IF SO, i pray you will answer when HE calls! He can and will bear your burdens, kim-kimmery!
love ya
kt
Hi Kim
Kiles here, I am back at work. :-(
I can understand your problem all too well. One idea is to wake them @ 6am instead of 6.30, tell them u will do it everyday until they respect you. If they dont get up, then wake them at 5.30. Hound them. I put ice cubes on my kids to get them up. (is that child abuse??) :-)
The ages they are at is the "no respect" age. You need to sit them down and explain that they are not respectiung you and you are very disappointed with them. So from now on you will not respect their wishes. if they wish to watch tv tell them no. Make themn see how no being respectful to you will not help them.
I also make my kids put all their school stuff at the end of the bed every night, so there is no more "i cant find my shoes", they whinge, but they know why they must do it...
Hope it helps, keep smiling. k
Post a Comment