Monday, December 26, 2005

Getting back on track

Not sure what's worse, to give up sweet stuff all together and NOT crave it after a while or to give into the temptation, eat it, then its like a junkie trying to give up heroin, you have given your body a taste and now it craves it again.

I got up today and said enough is enough though. I know the cravings will be with me for a few days but if I can just get past them, knowing they are only there cause I allowed myself the indulgences over the last few days, I'll be fine. And so far today all is good. I'm sure I haven't gotten in my gallon of water, nor did I get to the gym but I have eaten clean all day and its 9:30pm, tummy is growling but a chocolate protein shake will take care of that.

I was afraid to get on the scale but even that reality will have to come for me tomorrow. I know some programs tell you weighing every day is a bad thing, personally I think that is bullshit, but that has also come over the last two years of realizing that you can have a 1000 calorie day BUT if its mostly carbs, then the scale will tend to bounce up. I've learned and I know it takes over eating 3,500 calories over what your body needs to literally gain 1 pound but a lot of things like a womens cycle and where she is in it, a very heavy leg day, not getting in enough water, constipation... many things can effect the scale but for me weighing every single day has helped me to see patterns in my cycle, it has helped me NOT to freak out when I see a two pound gain over night but know I had a few to many processed carbs the day before - so while it may not be for everyone, weighing every single day for me keeps me in check. Not doing it every day allows me to pretend that somethings didn't happen, it allows me to NOT see the reality.

And face the reality of my last few days is what I MUST do tomorrow - it won't be pretty but it also won't freak me out, its hard to explain, otherwise I will just be able to continue to play head games with myself.

Ok off to make my protein shake, read a bit more in my Non runners marathon guide, then lights out.

1 comment:

Sarah Elaine said...

Sigh... yes... I hear you... I understand what it is like to have a "sugar addiction". I try to keep mine in check, since we have a diabetic in the family and I know I'm at risk.

How do you like that running book, by the way?