When you began running were there any books you read that helped your training? When you thought for the first time about pushing out your distance on runs, did you just do it? What about when you began to think about running your first marathon, were there any books or manuals you read that helped you with your plan?
I came to borders to have a look see and there are tons of books and training logs and such, its really enough to overwhelm a person. How do you know which is better than another? I don't so I'd thought perhaps I'd ask all of you that read this and are runners.
As far as reading goes, I won't say I'm not a reader, I do like to read, always have ever since I was a kid but I can't stand to read things that are long and full of techno jargon - I mean if your not a computer person, its kinda hard to pick up a book on computers and understand what you read if its all in techno language... Same with running, or cycling or weight lifting... Heck it took me a while to figure out when reading about resistance training what a PR or PB was (personal record or personal best) - I hate books that are written with the thought in mind that you just KNOW what these acronyms mean... oh my spot with eletric is open gotta move quick!!

5 comments:
I can highly recommend the book "The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide". I was a complete non-runner ... someone who detested the very act of running when I received this book for my birthday. The day I received I made the decision to train for a marathon and 15 weeks later I ran my first marathon. It's a good book!!!
I read magazines when I first started running, and also a book entitled "Running Injuries:How to prevent and overcome them" By Tim Noakes and Stephen Granger. I found it helpful as a beginning runner because it helped with the most basic items of running. Good luck and thanks for your comment today. I was worried that maybe I would come across as being rude or elitist.
Amber I picked up that exact book! I read the section last night before the week one training starts and I assume its the 3rd author writing but wow is that me...going on about letting life get in the way and such...
Rob you hardly came off as rude or an elitist to me! Rather what you had to say was JUST what I needed to hear! blogs are for saying what we feel and if someone gets their feelings hurt in the process, well sorry grab a tissue and get over yourself!
I poured over Jeff Galloways MARATHON..it is an awesome beginner marathon book. Kudos to you for even thinking marathon:) Yahoo! I knew you would be hooked..
I read "Marathoning for Mortals" this fall and loved it. Very sensible and useful. I'd highly recommend it!
Post a Comment