Thursday, December 22, 2005

THANKS for the suggestions

So yesterday while in Borders I did pick up the Non Runners Marathon Guide and a copy of Runners World magazine. I'm not even to the week one training but I LOVE what I've read so far. How this author talks about how we let life be an excuse for so many things.. Matter of fact another blogger I know continues to let life get in their way and I think I might have to copy those parts of the book and send them to this person.. Because it just does NOT apply to running a marathon, it really speaks about things we want in general.

I do know that I can not train for a marathon while training for a bodybuilding competition - the two disciplines do not go hand in hand. While running is a GREAT way for me to get in my needed cardio, training for a marathon would tear down to much muscle that needs to be built for the stage.

However with that said... My competition in May 6th and there is no reason I can't, as I said, use running as part of my cardio training. It does say in the book that the training for the marathon is 16 wks but you have abuot a month of preliminary stuff to do, well even though by that point I will be beyond the preliminary training point......

Ok getting off track I guess basically what I'm looking at is BB show May 6th and 5 months and a couple wks after that its October and the LaSalle Bank marathon in Chicago?? Could this be an almost like it was suppose to happen moment?

I'm gonna read the book now and read it again later, could this really be me talking? I person who hates to run actually thinking about doing a marathon, 26.2 miles all by myself? do I have what it takes?

3 comments:

Amber said...

"do I have what it takes?"

Yes ma'am you do!!! I've read your blog ... if anyone does you do. Oh, I'm getting so excited for you. BB competition and then a marathon ... you rock girl!!!

So, if one knew absolutely nothing about body building or weight training but would like to ... say just build strength ... where would one begin? Picking up the sport of running seems so much easier then strength training ... after all, all you really need to run is some good shoes.

Mark said...

That's pretty cool. I ran a 10K this past summer but a full marathon is pretty daunting.

No doubt you'll love doing both simultaneously.

I agree on the excuse thing as well. People tend to set ideals (fitness, work/home balance etc) as goals instead of treating them as lifestyles. You hear it all the time. I wish I could get in shape. I wish I had more time for my hobbies. I want...I wish...I can't...

Live it then be it.

Sarah Elaine said...

Ah! Glad to know you're enjoying the book!