Thursday, November 24, 2005

Day 24 - Thanksgiving

What more could a gal ask for but a nice quiet Thanksgiving Day. As much as I love to cook I just didn't feel like it this year, nor did I really feel like going anywhere and that is just what I got. The kids are with their mom so that has allowed George and I some alone time. We don't get tons of it, and thats ok, but I love the times when we do, even if we do nothing at all.

However today started with some awesome loving, then we ventured out into the cold Chicago air for the Naperville Turkey Trot and my first 5K! I thought I was going to have to run it alone but to my surprise George actually ran it with me. Not together necessarily as he is a stronger runner than I so I urged him to go ahead if he wanted.

OH my it was cold, the temp was upper teens/low twenties with 40mph gusts making for single digit to sub zero windchills. I heard the wind howling before I even got out of bed. I know its really silly or may seem so to some but it was my first 5k and I am not a runner of any sort so I was so excited, that #1 I started and #2 I finished and in less time than I had hoped for. I told George if I finishe in 40 minutes I'll be happy. Well I finished in 36min 16 seconds! So hell ya I was excited! George did awesome himself he finished in 30 min 9 seconds! It really really was cold but once I got going I actually started to overheat and had to unzip my jacket for some air . I had the total cat that ate the canary grin coming across that finish line and then to find out I finished in less time than I had hoped for.. HELL YA!

So I was hoping for another night of just us, as much as I love the kids since we get so little alone time I cherise what we get, but alas it is not to be... and that's ok too. George and I are having some filet mignon on the grill, some string beans and homemade sourdough bread, thats the one thing I did cook today - it will be wonderful.

Every day between us is not perfect but its days like today that make the not so perfect days seem so insignificant. And while another night alone would be great it will be nice to hear the stories the kids have to tell of seeing their step brother and spending time with their maternal side of the family.... I only wish I would have known that being a 'mom' was really as rewarding as it is! But then again all things happen for reasons and maybe my reason for not having given birth to any of my own children, was because my destiny was to be a mom to Caitlin and Colin. I could not have asked God for more. I am truly blessed and thankful for what I have in my life, even though it may not be evident to anyone else.

Happy Thanksgiving All.

No comments: